splitter thickness

wdonovan

11 Apr 2017, 18:06 #1

Hey guys, My Toyota WSR has a basic flat splitter that extends maybe 4" from the nose of the car. During the car's shakedown I found exactly what I had expected. The splitter the previous owner had installed was soft urethane material and it folded under at speed and dragged on the track. I plan on laying up a new one of carbon fiber (coworker has materials and builds his own race boats). I plan to get a little more aggressive and build the new one to extend maybe 6" forward of the nose (gen 2 WSR body). I will probably install 5 turnbuckles for support. How many layers of CF would you think I will need? The turnbuckles will probably be about 16" apart.

Fred Michael

11 Apr 2017, 22:30 #2

You will need some core material for strength in my opinion. Also be careful how far you extend it as you can make the car very unbalanced, very easily.

Marty Nygard

11 Apr 2017, 22:44 #3

I always used 1/2" thick honeycomb as a core with two layers (top and bottom) of 12 oz carbon.  What is your co-worker happy to work with?  Remember, if you can't stand on it, it's not thick enough.
M

David Arken

12 Apr 2017, 02:23 #4

Likely you need to do a little research before investing time and money into a splitter. You might find that making the front projection adjustable and that 4" is about the most you will want. Also consider the shape of the under surface. Mine is 2 layers of carbon fiber over small cell foam from either Aircraft Spruce or Bob's Foam Factory. Someone loaned me shop space to do this but I have the pump and bags to do it at home which I did for my rear diffuser and will be doing a second one of the from splitters.Image

ImageImageImageImage
Garage set up for rear diffuser
Last edited by David Arken on 12 Apr 2017, 02:27, edited 2 times in total.

Stan

12 Apr 2017, 14:57 #5

Fred Michael wrote:
You will need some core material for strength in my opinion. Also be careful how far you extend it as you can make the car very unbalanced, very easily.
Fred is correct. Kevin Mitz and I both built 2", 4", and 6" splitters for our Cheetahs. The 2" were inadequate. The 6" unbalanced the cars. But the 4" were just right. For a one-off you'd be hard pressed to improve on David Arken's technique.
Stan Clayton
www.dauntlessracing.com
www.stohr.com

wdonovan

24 Apr 2017, 14:21 #6

Some interesting food for thought here. My coworker talked me into 1/8 ply with 1 layer CF each side. It is laid up, shaped and he is going to recoat epoxy. The splitter is flat, no curvature. I will make mount holes for 3" extension and 4" extension. Also 3 to 5 turnbuckles to support the outboard end, depending on how stiff when mounted to car. Five turnbuckles gives a center distance of about 16" and it looks like this stuff is plenty stiff supported on those centers. We'll see how (if) it works.